Baron Hill

The three-masted schooner Baron Hill was built by William Thomas at Amlwch in April 1876. She was registered at Liverpool and was owned by Millom's William Postlethwaite from 1876 until her loss on the 22nd March 1898.

Travelling from Flint to Newcastle with a cargo of salt, the Baron Hill was stranded and lost in wind conditions ENE Force 6, in the Dee estuary 2 miles below Flint. The master was Capt. L.Hughes and there was a crew of six (see Source 3).
 

Name Year Built Gross Tons Length (feet) Breadth (feet) Depth (feet) Masts Figurehead Stern Lloyd's Classn.
Baron Hill 1876 224  119.0  25.4  13.0   3     11A1 (SS) 

 

Sources :

  1. Research by Trevor Morgan
  2. Lloyds Register of Shipping 1877 (names master as J.Hughes)
  3. Shipwreck Index of the British Isles", Vol. 5 by Richard & Bridget Larn ISBN 1 900839 61 X (pub.2000). - cites BoT Wreck Returns and Lloyds Register. This gives the date of loss as 25th March 1898.