The 118 tonne Cambourne was built at Amlwch in 1884 by Captain Thomas Morgan at the yard of W C Paynter & Company. She was a three masted topsail schooner of graceful shape and good qualities, a working schooner with nothing spectacular about her. She was owned by Thomas Morgan and company of Amlwch until the First World War, when she was brought by Messrs W a Jenkins of Swansea.

In 1920 she was sold again to the Hook Colliery Company of Haverford west, who intended that she should carry their anthracite products to the port of northern France. They installed a semi diesel engine of 80 horse power and sent down the top sail yards from the fore. She was not a success inn this business. She took so long over the two trips she made to st Valery and Antwerp and had such trouble with her engine that she was laid up. In 1922 she was brought by Captain Hugh Shaw of Arlington.

A cargo of timber from Milford to Gloucester was secured and a cargo of salt was fixed from that port to Limerick. The Cambourne arrived in limerick in six days and meeting strong head winds. The engine gave perfect service and the cargo was discharged in good order.

This was the time of the troubles in Ireland. For a week the Cambourne lay along side Limerick Quay. When the fighting ended, within a day the Camborne, as the only powered vessel in the port, was chartered by the Government to take troops to Cork. As many men as the ship would hold were put on board, together with several tons of food. Off Foynes, they met a Limerick steamer and the troops were transferred at sea, except for one officer who stayed on board to see the Cambourne to Fenit where they picked up more troops and took them back to limerick.

Captain Shaw then spent several months taking supplies into Dingle, Valentia, Galway and other west coast ports as high freights and some degree of personal risk. In November 1922 Cambourne returned to England, bringing a cargo of bacon from Feint to Liverpool.

Business was busy the next 10 years but making a profit was difficult. In the end she settled down to take salt from Gloucester to the bacon factories of south west Ireland. The merchants liked their salt cargos to be carried in wooden vessels as it kept the salt dry.

At the age of 52 she was at sea throughout the great easterly gale of February 1936 when gust of up to 108 mpg were reached. The Cambourne on her way from Gloucester to Tralee was blown far out into the Atlantic and took 4 days to regain land.