Countess of lonsdale

The Countess of Lonsdale was a wooden three-masted schooner built by William Thomas at Millom. She took over 4.5 years to build  and was launched on the 27th September 1878. She was initially managed by William Postlethwaite, but in 1880 he sold his shares to William Thomas, and the Countess of Lonsdale joined  Thomas's Amlwch-based fleet. Her first master was Capt. Lewis Hughes of Amlwch, and he stayed with her for most of her life.

The Countess of Lonsdale participated in the Spanish ore trade, but also sailed to the Caribbean, carrying a crew of six or seven. Capt. Hughes left her and Capt. Robert Roberts took command in January 1890.  Leaving Runcorn on the 12th April 1890, the Countess of Lonsdale was run down by the steamship Sherbro. The schooner foundered about three miles from the North West light, but her crew were all saved.

 Information provided by Tim Latham (Through Mighty Seas)