detlef wagner

 

This 229 ton Iron Barquentine ( Yard number 24) was launched from the William Thomas yard in 1891. During this period there was a close link between Welsh Ship builders , German merchants and the North Wales slate industry. The Detlef Wagner was one of a number of ships which took slate to Hamburg and was named after Hans Detlef Jacob Wagner a merchant there. She was sunk by an enemy submarine in 1917.