eilianus

3 cylinder engine built by Verschure and Co., Amsterdam.Aug. 1917  Completed by N.V. Scheeps Bouwwerf de Merwede, Hardinxveld, Holland (Yard Number 1280) for N.V. Stoomvart Maatschappij as the ‘ALDEGONDE’.

Sept 1930; Acquired by William Thomas & Sons, Amlwch and renamed ‘EILIANUS’

12 June 1936; Wrecked about 5 miles south of Hartland Point whilst on a voyage from Havre to Briton Ferry with a cargo of scrap.

718 Gross Tonnage
180.2 x 28.1 x 12.2 feet
3 cylinder engine by Verschure and Co., Amsterdam.
Aug. 1917  Completed by N.V. Scheeps Bouwwerf de Merwede, Hardinxveld, Holland (Yard Number 1280) for N.V. Stoomvart Maatschappij as the ‘ALDEGONDE’.
Sept. 1919; Sold to the Anglo European Steamship, Coal and Pitwood Co. Ltd, London.
Nov. 1919; Sold to the Regis Shipping Co. Ltd. (G.F.Harrison, Manager), Cardiff; and renamed ‘WYKE REGIS’.
Aug. 1925; Sold to Edward G. Willis, Guernsey.
July 1928; Owners became Guernsey Coasters Ltd (Edward G. Willis, Manager)
1929; Managers became Onesimus Dorey and Sons.
Sept 1930; Acquired by William Thomas & Sons, Amlwch and renamed ‘EILIANUS’
12 June 1936; Wrecked about 5 miles south of Hartland Point whilst on a voyage from Havre to Briton Ferry with a cargo of scrap.

From ‘Cambrian Coasters’ by R.S. Fenton,  published World Ship Society 1989

NOTE.The name Eilianus is a Latinised version of the name of the local saint, Eilian.  Two sailing vessels, one wooden, and another of steel, built and owned by William Thomas & Sons, were called Eilian.  Another steamer bought by them in 1937 was renamed  Eilian Hill