eilian hill

The William Thomas yard at Amlwch built a sailing vessel called Eilian Hill ( official Number 79103) in 1878. She was designed as a schooner of 99 tons with a length of 88 feet, Breadth 21.3 and depth 10.6.  She was used in the coast trade around the UK and for many years her Captian was John  Owen of Amlwch. The Eilian Hill was lost off Penzance in December 1882 following a collision with SS Equist of London.

As steam propulsion became more reliable screw propelled coasters developed (they still often retained sails and used them to save fuel when winds were favourable). Often these carried slates to Liverpool, London or other centres and carried coal, groceries, hardware and general goods back . There was also room for some passengers. These coasters were regular visitors at the North West Wales ports and kept to their schedules regardless of the weather.

William Thomas and Co of Amlwch built many ships and they were the last big coaster owner of the coast. Their ships tended to be general traders, working all over the Home Trade limits (Brest to Elbe). Their last vessel, also called the EILIAN HILL, traded until 1955.