Parys Mountain location
Parys Mountain (147m) is located about 2 miles south of the town of Amlwch in Anglesey North Wales. It received it's English name from a former land owner called Robert Parys who received the land as payment for service to the Crown in 1406.
It's original Welsh name of Mynydd Trysglwyn described it as being topped with a grove of trees covered in scabby lichens. The trees have now disappeared following the general deforestation of the land and in particular the industrialisation of the area in later centuries.
The mountain has a history of copper mining going back 3500 years. However it was in the 18th and 19th Centuries that the greatest amount of copper was produced. It is thought that in 150 years over 3.5 million tones of ore was raised, mostly by hand, from the Mona and Parys mine both located on the mountain.
Today the scarred site is much quieter ,although one company Anglesey Mining PLC still retains the mining rights and are actively looking for polymetalic ores at the site.